(MOUNT BERRY, Ga.) – The Piedmont men’s lacrosse team rallied from two goals down in the final quarter and Connor Rogers scored the game winner in overtime to lift the Lions past Berry 12-11 on Sunday afternoon in Mount Berry, Georgia.
The win gives Piedmont a 2-0 start to the season and the title of the Peach Cup Games.
Piedmont raced out to a quick start to lead through much of the first half before the Vikings appeared to grasp control of the game in the second half. But the Lions were undeterred, scoring twice in the final five minutes to knot the score and then exorcising some overtime demons with Rogers’ game winner.
Senior Brady McGuire delivered a second straight hat trick to start the season, one-upping his Saturday totals with four goals and four assists Sunday to lead the team. Isaac Harrington also added a pair of goals, including the game-tying goal late in the fourth quarter while Rogers delivered a pair of goals and a pair of assists.
Johnny Matrona made an incredible 23 saves on the afternoon, easily a career best for the senior.
After Berry scored in the early going to jump in front, Piedmont answered with three in a row to grab the lead as the first two were assisted by McGuire. The Vikings were able to claw back and tie the score at 4-4 midway through the second quarter, but once again, the Lions answered with three straight to lead 7-4 going into the break.
The back and forth continued as the Vikings seemingly took control with a 5-0 run to take a 10-8 advantage early in the final quarter.
However, the Lions made sure there was one more twist in the game, rallying down the stretch to force overtime.
Then, after going 0-2 in overtime games last season, including an OT loss in the USA South Tournament Semifinals to Southern Virginia, Piedmont took advantage of a man-up opportunity, with McGuire finding Rogers in the final seconds of the first overtime period to win the game.
Up next, the Lions will travel again next weekend, taking on Hendrix next Saturday, Feb. 17 in Nashville, Tennessee.
– The Lions ended the game on a 3-0 run, scoring twice in the final five minutes to force OT and then Rogers netting the game winner in the final seconds of the first overtime.
– After a four-goal, four-assist performance on Sunday, McGuire has totaled seven goals and seven assists through the team’s first two contests.
– Matrona had a game for the ages, recording 23 saves in the victory.
NEWS AND NOTES:
– The win for Piedmont marks its first in 10 tries against Berry. The Vikings defeated the Lions 15-7 last season in Mount Berry.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
– Although Berry had a 58-34 shot advantage over the Lions, Piedmont tallied 23 saves compared to the Vikings’ 11.