Appalachian_drug_task_force(Cleveland) –  State and several local law enforcement agencies across northeast Georgia announced Tuesday the expansion of the drug interdiction efforts of the Appalachian Drug Task Force, based in Cleveland.  Information from  a news release from the task force said that  Rabun, Stephens, and Habersham County Sheriff’s Offices, and City of Toccoa Police Department with join the other four counties served  by the  ADTF.   

White County Sheriff Neal Walden, Chairman of the Appalachian Drug Task Force Board said, with these additional counties it  will be a big help.  “ it’s going to  increase and  make out endeavors in trying to slow down the drug traffic in Northeast Georgia.  It’s going to help us tremendously, being able to reach out into those counties.  For all the practical purposes we are working on the same group of people anyway.”   In addition  to the  law enforcement agencies the Mountain Judicial Circuit will work with the task force.  

 The Appalachian Drug Task Force is a multi-county drug enforcement agency that encompasses the White County Sheriff’s Office, the Banks County Sheriff’s Office, the Lumpkin County Sheriff’s Office, the Towns County Sheriff’s Office, the Enotah Judicial Circuit and the Piedmont Judicial Circuit. ADTF is supervised by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation  in partnership with local law enforcement agencies.  Board members approved inclusion of the other counties in a vote on July 14th this year. 

Walden said the  GBI has provided  additional help for the group.  He said, “They assigned a new agent in charge, and then an assistant agent as well as an agent, that’s going to be working drugs right along with us, as well as the Georgia State Patrol has assigned a trooper to the task force.”

The new origination is effective October  first.   

The Mountain Narcotics Criminal Investigation and Suppression Team  will no longer be in operation.


ARDEO encourages citizens to report any suspicious drug activity via Instant Messager or at 706-348-7410 or
contact your local Sheriff’s Office or Police Department.