Things are back to normal at Truett McConnell University in Cleveland after a hazardous materials incident on campus about 1:45 pm Thursday.
“The incident happened at the new athletic facility,” said Cleveland Fire Chief Ricky Pruitt. “A small amount of bleach became mixed with acid in the pool room, causing the release of a hazardous gas.”
The building was evacuated, and emergency personnel from Cleveland and White County removed the mixture without incident, according to Pruitt.
“The total amount of the mixture was less than 15 gallons,” Pruitt said.
The building was reopened by 3 p.m.
No injuries were reported.